Starsailor and Pavlova




"Get yourself out of town. There is no point hanging round. There is a passion inside since you've had since your youth..well, you write and you write and you work 9 to 5."
Starsailor "Neon Sky"

Last Thursday I had a date night with my partner which included a delicious dinner at La Palette, which must be the only restaurant in Toronto where you can eat French food, drink Polish vodka and hear music that the radio does not play ;) We also went to see a concert, which was one of the best concerts ever.

Starsailor. Where do I even start. My favourite band in the whole world. It actually makes me happy they are not Coldplay kind of famous, because I feel as if I had a little more right to call them my band. It was my band, my find, my secret. I have not heard them on the radio. I have not found them by looking through my brother's CD collection. I have not seen their video on MTV first. Do you remember MTV and the fact that they actually used to play music videos?



I found them exactly when I needed them. It was some 14 years ago. I was in my second year of university and I decided to move out of the dorm and live on my own. I wanted to be alone to grow up, to feel independent, to face my demons, to discover who I really was and what I wanted. And of course I was hoping for love, salvation, someone who will make my life better and make all my problems go away. I started writing so much that it was almost scary. As soon as I was alone with thoughts and a pen and piece of paper, all these words started to come out, as if someone else was dictating them and it was not even a difficult process- they just appeared. They were touching the most difficult and vulnerable parts of my soul. They were taking me to scary places. Unfortunately I threw out most of them. Some of the poems were even predictions of what was to come and that scared me. The fact that I unleashed all the emotions and I was able to tell the future in some weird unexplained ways. I put it aside, I threw it out, these words were my demons I needed to lock up. And that is when I found Starsailor, whose words and music were the salvation I was looking for.




I was trying to discover myself. Part of this self-discovery was finding new music. I would simply go inside a record store and pick out CDS that drew my attention to the cover or title. And that is how I found Starsailor, circa 2002. The beautiful cover, sunset with train tracks. I had exactly the same photo, that I took around the same time from the back of the train, when I decided to escape, going to nowhere really. All I wanted is to be far, far from the small town, where everyone knew me and where I thought life was boring and too small for me. I wanted to dream big, feel big and live big. I did not want to be constrained by anything or anyone. 

Instantly I feel in love with this beautiful CD. It has been so many years, but the lyrics of the songs still speak to me in the same way as they did when I was a young girl, heading into an unknown direction. Many years later, I know more about myself, but we all can never be sure about our direction, where our life will take us. You can hop on or off the train as frequently as you chose to and there will always be new experiences along the way. My constant is my outlet in the form of this blog, my cooking, my beautiful daughters and my husband of course, whom I dragged to the Starsailor concert and who loves them as well now. But as all of us I dream of new inspirations and experiences that make life richer and fuller.





When I first found this CD I was hooked instantly. James's beautiful voice, amazing lyrics, it's pure originality. I could relate to so many of the songs. Alcoholic, for example. I always wonder what inspired this song. My father was an alcoholic, and I thought, how many people are out there with the same experience. "One good day of the week and I will be up again....one good day of the week and I'll be higher than the government"- there are so many lines in their songs, that lifted me out of difficult moments, that gave me strength, hope, tears and laughter. Such as "daddy I've got nothing left. My life is good, my love is a mess. What can I do that is for the best" from  She just wept. All of us where in a love mess at some point. Life seems perfect but as we know love is difficult. As soon as you find real love you know it, you know Love is Here and you hold on to it as if no one could take it from you.





I hope they know how powerful their music is and how beautiful it makes people feel. I was so lucky to be able to speak with them and say Thank you. It was the almost unbelievable experience. 

Another of my dreams would be to cook for them next time they are touring in North America and visiting Toronto. How amazing that would be. I think I would cry for a week. :) That would be my way of saying Thank you for being a part of my life and inspiration I found in their beautiful music and lyrics.

Maybe for dessert I would make this beautiful Pavlova which was heavenly and my first Pavlova success. The recipe is time consuming but definitely worth the effort.





Pistachio Pavlova with Rhubarb Cream

Pavlova

1 cup chopped unsalted pistachos
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
5 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tsp. white vinegar
1 1/2 cup sugar

Rhubarb Cream

1 cup chopped rhubarb
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1 cup hulled strawberries
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
1/4 chopped unsalted pistachos for garnish

1. Make the pavlova. 
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with some parchment paper. In a small bowl toss the pistachios with cornstarch. 

2. In a stand mixer beat the egg whites with salt until foamy. Beat in the vinegar and then beat in the sugar adding one 1 tablespoon at a time. Keep on beating for about 10 minutes until peaks are stiff. The best test is to tilt over the bowl and if the egg whites do not fall out, it is done to perfection. Carefully fold in the pistachio mixture. Dollop on to the baking sheet into a 10-inch round and make a slight indentation in the centre. Lower the temperature to 225 F and Bake for 1 1/2 hours. Let the meringue rest in the oven for about 1 hour. 

3. To make the rhubarb cream simmer the rhubarb, sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice in a small saucepan until the rhubarb breaks down for about 5 min. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla and quartered strawberries. Let it cool.

4. In another bowl beat the whipping cream with the mascarpone. Stir 1/4 of the rhubarb mixture into the cream, mix in and add the rest and spoon the mixture in the centre of the pavlova. Garnish with more strawberries and chopped pistachios.  Serve and make everyone happy! :)


Comments

Popular Posts