Blueberry Scone Perfection

"Problems that we face, soon will be replaced..."
Starsailor





It has been a long time since writing anything here, and I know I should not have any excuses, but I have been very busy with first of all going back to work from maternity leave and then going through an interview process and finally starting a new job. No, nothing to do with food. It definitely shook up my routine and I am not quite back to it yet. It has been my first few weeks at work, which can be overwhelming and it takes most of my focus, attention and preoccupies my thoughts.

Last Friday, however, I felt the much needed inspiration in the food world. First of all one of my recipies got some focus and thank you notes and secondly I went out to celebrate a friend's birthday in a new Spanish restaurant called Patria. 

We started with a beautiful bottle of Tempranillo, a light, fresh, slightly fruity red wine, which reminded me of a Merlow and that was exactly what we wanted. Then our order of tapas followed, which was not only eye catching but delicious. We ordered some squid with potatoes and smoked paprika infused oil, croquettes with Manchego cheese, crusty bread with garlic, tomatoes and anchovies, dates wrapped in bacon and a dish that impressed me the most- ramps with romesco sauce. 

I always hear about ramps this time of the year, but I have never tried them before. These were similar to baby green onions, grilled beautifully and resting on a bed of a red pepper sauce with almonds and mini croutons. They were decorated with mini chive flowers. How gorgeous and how delicious! All the flavours and textures were blending into a perfect mouthful. We were also eyeing a paella someone ordered but it called for at least 4 people with one or two appetizer before that.

We finished the meal off with a flaky pastry topped with turron ice cream and sprinkled with pieces of turron. A reallly great evening with inspiring food.

After stocking up my fridge last Saturday, I woke up with a need to cook something delicious. As it is time to eat anything asparagus I decided to grill some asparagus and make some Hollandaise sauce for eggs Benedict. I served it with some thick bacon and a baby kale salad.



And to top it off with something sweet I decided to make scones. I have made scones before and they were good. But this was the first time they were perfect and the way scones should be - fluffy, soft, buttery. A recipe of perfection. 





Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
0.5 cup heavy (whipping) cream
0.5 cup 3 percent milk
or just use 1 cup of cream (heavy)

Glaze

1 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoons combined orange and lemon peel


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Mix the dry ingredients. Add the chopped butter and rub it in with your hands or in the food processor until the mixture resembles a crumble.

Add the blueberries and mix in the cream, very slowly - not to over mix. Shape into a round on a lightly floured surface and cut into half and across. Cut each quarter into two to have eight scones in total. Place on a cookie sheet (do not place any grease or butter). Brush the tops with cream and bake for about 15-20 minutes.






Top with the glaze and enjoy!!!



Comments

Popular Posts