Make January Snacking Right- Granola Squares




My January started pretty perfectly with a trip to Mexico coming up very soon and even though I need to get back into shape after Christmas and I am not depriving myself of simple pleasures such as snacking. Of course everyone tries to diet, exercise and have resolutions for themselves in the New Year. But the most important to remember in all this is to not necessarily share those resolutions with the whole world but be true to yourself in trying to be a better person than we were last year.

Diet is so hard for me. As you already know I love food. And now that I have to feed my whole family my pantry and fridge are stocked. It is easy to eat chocolate or chips without making any effort, on the run or watching TV. I will try to really celebrate and enjoy my meals. Even if it takes me a whole day to wait until I have a moment to celebrate few squares of chocolate or a cookie, it will be so much better and deserved than few of them eaten mindlessly in between tasks.





Of course, Christmas comes with food overload. After it you want to keep on eating the same way, and come on, someone has to eat those leftovers. I noticed that instead of grabbing a piece of fruit I will take chocolate, a cake or cookies- few times a day, and that is not healthy. So I am prepping myself to have good snacks around such as carrot sticks, hummus, granola, healthy cookies and some nutty squares. 

I remember making granola squares before but they were way to sweet with condensed milk. This recipe lets you play with the ingredients a little more and you can throw in anything you find in your pantry. They are addictive! Everyone needs good snacks around to keep the energy going on those chilly January days.






Granola Squares

6 cups of quick oats
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey ( I used honey plus maple syrup)
1/4 cup apple juice
1/4  cup molasses
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup puffed amaranth
1 cup Special K Original Cereal
1/4 cup flax seeds
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup toasted walnuts
1/4 cup almonds
few pieces of dark chocolate, chopped



Mix the oats with the butter, oil and salt. Add amaranth and flax seeds. Spread on two lined baking sheets and bake for 20 minutes in 350 F. Mix the mixture around while it bakes to make sure it does not burn. Remove and let cool.

Place the sugar, honey, apple juice and molasses in a small pot and let it dissolve. Add vanilla. Place the  oat mixture in a large bowl, add the cereal, wheat germ, walnuts, almonds and chocolate. Pour the melted mixture and mix evenly. Press into a baking sheet that is lined and bake for about 20 minutes in 325 F. Remove and slice into squares. Enjoy!



Comments

Popular Posts