Christmas Rush And Mexican Wedding Cookies






Christmas is almost here and we are all starting to feel the rush of excitement in the air. We are planning, buying gifts, making cookies, deciding what to prepare for Christmas dinner, getting anxious in the stores and in parking lots. Relax. I am sure you are buying the right toys for your kids. And you are not missing anyone from your list. Unless you are a Christmas Eve shopper- then good luck.



Christmas. One the early memories from Poland was the same feeling of excitement I have these days when I shop for gifts. I was grown up enough to go out on my own and buy presents for my family. I must have been in high school already and capitalism was doing just well in our country. The chill in the air, the Christmas music, the big Christmas tree in the market square and the search for the right gift in the stores were so much fun. One of the stores I remember really strongly is the Chocolate store that sold nothing else, but chocolate in every possible form. Truffles, chocolate candy, chocolate bars with fillings, nuts, fruit. Chocolate ornaments, chocolate Santas, different shapes, sizes and flavours. That smell was one to remember. Long gone were the days of cherishing chocolate, eating a little piece of it everyday because no one knew when we would be able to buy or receive another one. When all the chocolate was gone we kept the silver with the wrapper and when chocolate was nowhere in sight I would have to satisfy the craving by smelling it. I still remember this sweet milk chocolate paper smell with hazelnutty background. Maybe that is the reason I cannot eat a whole chocolate in one sitting. It is so much better when you savour it. Another store I strongly remember was a regular grocery store with tropical fruits. These were a novelty and it was pretty cool to buy a pineapple or a mango as a gift. Oranges were the only tropical fruit available during communism and usually only around Christmas time. I also would buy newly imported coffee from Germany. Still today the best coffee I drink and always have at home is from Germany - Jacobs. 




I always looked forward to buying and opening gifts more than to the dinner itself. We lived and always ate Christmas dinner with my grandparents. My mom and grandma took over the kitchen, arguing frequently on what to make and when to make it. There was not much conversation at the dinner table, usually my brother and I were trying to make jokes. My father and grandfather did not get along too well. Once it was so quiet and suddenly the chandelier fell from the ceiling straight into the middle of the table! That was quite a night! After dinner we would open presents. Mine were always in one bag- a plastic bag usually filled with sweets and oranges. My grandma would buy me underwear or sheets. My parents always some jewellery or a fun toy when I was smaller and my grandfather always gave us money and chocolate. After dinner we would meet with my friends who lived next door. At midnight we attended a midnight mass and the celebration would continue for the rest of the week with family visiting us and us visiting others.

This song was recorded when I was 5 and communism was still around. It must be one of the best and timeless Christmas songs ever. 



I always dream of having a beautiful dinner with a richly decorated table, hopefully for 12 or even more people. Unfortunately our families are far from us and this year we are staying in Canada, so it will be just us and our friendly neighbours. I dream of a day when my house will be full of friends and family laughing and enjoying the food. The fireplace going, the music playing, nice drinks in the hands, kids running around and no one tells them to go to bed. No one cleans either, its is just enjoyment and celebration of food and togetherness. Celebration of family and peace. Of what so many people in the world strive to have. I hope my whole family will gather together for beautiful Christmas in one place instead of being torn between Canada, Poland and Mexico. It is a beautiful dream that one day will come true.

Now back to the cooking. I always go crazy and prepare things I would not even dare to make during the year. Last year I was 6 months pregnant and I was still making pierogis from scratch. That was a little too much. This year I am definitely making the staples- fish, wild mushroom soup, bigos, but buying some pierogis from a trusted source and of course preparing lots of sweets- my grandmother's poppy seed roll and gingerbread cookies. From my repertoire it will be biscottis, shortbread and Mexican Wedding Cookies. They are very crumbly and you are going to make a mess eating them but they will melt in your mouth. My favourite pairing is with an espresso.




Mexican Wedding Cookies

1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup ground pecans ( I also like using walnuts)
1/4 teaspoon salt
extra icing sugar for rolling the dough

Cream together butter and the icing sugar until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract until blended. Now add the flour gradually until incorporated. Mix in the nuts. Form small balls of dough and bake at 400 F for about 12 minutes. While the cookies are still warm, roll them in icing sugar and enjoy!



Have a Happy Holiday Season!






Comments

Popular Posts