Balsamic and Beer Short Braised Ribs with Parsnip Mash and Creme Brulee




I am truly disappointed that with one click I deleted a post I have been working on for a whole week. Each of us does it once in a while and yet somehow magically we still do not learn from our mistakes and before you even notice here we go again. Click, gone! Oh no, what has just happened? And I thought it was saved! Oh, how wrong I was!

I wrote about the best meat dish I probably ever prepared and that I do not just make it for anybody or anytime. It has to be a special occasion- New Year's Eve, someones birthday or celebration of some sorts. This time I prepared it for my partner's brother who was visiting us here from Mexico. When I asked him which dish out of everything that I cooked while he was here he wanted for his last meal, this is what he chose. A perfect choice, indeed. Beautiful short ribs, that I usually buy at the local butchers, knowing they are the freshest. While they are cooking in the beer-balsamic vinegar bath I instantly crave red wine. And some sort of mashed potatoes. This time horseradish and parsnip mash. For dessert Creme Brulee. Could this meal be more perfect?

Short Braised Ribs
(smitten kitchen)

2 pounds (2 1/4 kg) bone-in short ribs
kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large red onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 bottles (710 ml) dark beer
2-3 cups beef stock
minced parsley



Season the ribs with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a deep casserole (with a lid and one that you can later transfer to the oven) and once it is hot enough sear the ribs on all sides until they are browned and crispy. Take your time here and really brown those well. It adds another level of flavour to this dish. Once browned transfer the ribs to a plate. Add the onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes until softened. Add the tomato paste, balsamic vinegar- no need to use expensive vinegar here, W sauce, the beer and stock. Return the ribs to the dish, cover and cook for 3 hours in 325 F oven. If you do not have a dish with a lid, cover it with aluminium foil, pressing really tightly on all sides, making sure as little steam as possible escapes.


After they are cooked, transfer them to a baking sheet and roast in a 420 degree oven until the edges start to crisp for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile strain the braising liquid into a saucepan and cook until reduced by a third for about 10-15 minutes.

Serve with a sprinkle of parsley on top and potato mash below.






Parsnip and Potato Mash

5 potatoes, peeled and halved
2 parsnips, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons horseradish
2 tablespoons butter
milk, salt and pepper to taste


Cook the potatoes with parsnip until soft and tender and almost falling apart in salted water. Strain. Add the butter, milk, salt, pepper and horseradish and mash away until smooth. Adjust the seasoning to your liking of spice and consistency. I add quite a bit of milk to make it creamy and smooth.





For dessert we served this amazing creme brulee. It always amazes me how a recipe with just a few ingredients and this simple could be so delicious, simply heavenly. I love it and so will you and your guests. It is too rich to make it as an everyday kind of dessert. It definitely deserves a special occasion.

Creme Brulee

2 1/4 cups heavy cream (35%)
1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
5 egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup sugar to sprinkle


Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (170C) In a pot heat the vanilla with the cream- just until it is slightly warm- not too hot. In another bowl whisk the eggs with the sugar and combine with the cream mixture. Pour into the ramekins and bake for 40 minutes in a water bath. Let cool and refrigerate to cool completely. Just before serving sprinkle with the remaining sugar and caramelize with a torch. Serve immediately.

I also made this quick custard tart. I based it on this recipe of my chocolate banana custard pie - click here- but I used a store bought crust and I added a little bit of lime juice to the custard.  Decorate it with any fruit of your liking and sprinkle with some chocolate.





Comments

Popular Posts