Conchas- Sweet Dough Buns from Mexico


WITHOUT YOU I DROWN, FALL DEEP AND SHIVER
IF I WATCH YOUR TEAR DROPS FALL
I REGRET OF THE WRONG I HAVE DONE
IF I WATCH YOUR TEAR DROPS FALL


From my recent addiction-Lagrimas by Pastilla




Above an abandoned church in Mexico. Below my second attempt at conchas.



One of my favourite treats when I was in Mexico were Conchas- fluffy buns topped with a sweet vanilla, cinnamon or chocolate crust. They are hugely popular for breakfast, as a snack or best of all after dinner, dipped in a milky cup of coffee.  I could eat those all the time when I was in Mexico. I think I lived on them pretty much. They remind me of nothing I had before and the buttery yet flaky pastry is simply irresistible.


Above- Mexican treats.



I found them here in Toronto in a Mexican bakery at Kensington Market- a great place if you are looking for any Mexican ingredient. And not only Mexican- they have a huge variety of beautiful, fresh produce. However, I do not go there very often and of course I had to try making conchas at home since I already had some experience at working with yeast based breads. The first time I made conchas they did not turn out well at all. Burnt at the bottom, crust way too thick. Second time was better but still I did not get the crust perfect. Third time too big. But this time they were apparently perfect- authentic Mexican flavour as my Mexican mother-in-law put it! Yes, I have perfect conchas and a little bit of my own Mexico in Canada :)






My mother-in- law and daughter helping




Conchas 

Dough

1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/4 cup whole milk
4 -4 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 eggs
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temp

Topping

1 cup all purpose four
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1 cup icing sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon


To make the dough:

Place the milk in a small pot and warm it on the stove. Make sure it is not too hot and not too cold, just lukewarm. Dissolve the yeast. Keep aside.
Separately combine 4 cups of the flour with the sugar in a mixer with a hook attachment. Add the milk mixture and mix lightly. Add the eggs one at a time and the salt. Mix on low speed until the dough comes together. Increase the speed to medium and continue to mix until it becomes elastic, about 10 minutes. Add the butter little by little, increase the speed to medium high and mix until the dough looks smooth and shiny, another 10 minutes. Add more flour if it appears too sticky. Lightly oil a large bowl and place the dough inside. Cover with a plastic wrap and let sit for about 1 hour until it doubles in size. Make sure to keep it in a warm place- could be a slightly warm oven or on top of the fridge- far away from windows and any drafts. Yes, it could catch a cold!



To make the topping while the dough is rising, mix the butter with vanilla until smooth. Add flour and sugar as well as the salt and bring the icing together with your hands until it holds it shape and does not fall apart anymore.





Now take your dough and take a tennis ball size piece, shape it with your hand and place on an a slightly buttered baking sheet. Repeat until you have used all the dough- you should have around 12-16 conchas. Use flour if the dough sticks to your hands in this process. Place the balls about 1 inch apart. You should have two sheets with 6 conchas and one with 4 or less.

Now roll a gum ball piece of the icing and place it between a piece of plastic. Use the meat tenderizer to make it as thin as possible and place on top of the concha. Score with a tip of a sharp knife to make parallel curved lines. Again let them sit for another hour until they double in size.

Bake in 350 F degree oven for 30-40 minutes until the bottoms and sides are slightly golden. Check often as they are easy to burn at the bottom.


Comments

Popular Posts