Carrot Cake Cheesecake


    I was remembering this week something that happened about two years ago. We were enjoying a walk with our 1.5 year daughter and we wanted to stop for a coffee somewhere, but she was so loud and active we decided to take the coffee out. I grabbed a piece of carrot cake cheesecake to go. I regretted getting only one because it was so good! I tried carrot cake before and I had a craving for it once in a blue moon- definitely not something I would enjoy having on a regular basis. Never knew or heard of carrot cake before moving to Canada. I wonder who even thought of this crazy combination. Carrots, naturally sweet are probably the best veggie to hide in a dessert. Cheesecake- of course we love it in our house, but because we are able to eat it faster then we should, we also make it once in a while. Now, it has been a whole week since I remembered the moment of discovering this crazy combination and and I am still craving this particular combination of the two. 
    It was my first time preparing it and I found this recipe on food network website- it was good but I would add less sugar to the coffee cake part, add some pecans or walnuts and maybe raisins and add some lemon zest and lemon juice to the cheesecake. Then maybe top it all of with a sweet sour-cream marshmallow topping that I usually use in my pumpkin cheesecake, if I am expecting company. I liked the texture of the cheesecake here- slightly creamier than my pumpkin cheesecake.






    Carrot Cake Cheesecake


    Cheesecake Mixture
  • 2 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened well (but not melted)
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp all-purpose flour
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
    Carrot Cake
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/3 cups finely grated carrots


Place the softened cream cheese in the mixer with sugar and flour. Mix well until smooth and add the eggs, vanilla and sour cream, blend and transfer to another container. 

Clean the mixer bowl and prepare the carrot cake mixture. Place the oil, applesauce, sugars, eggs and vanilla and beat until fluffy. Add the carrots and combine. In another bowl combine the dry ingredients and add to the mixer. Combine until smooth.

Butter a cake pan with removable sides and place half of the carrot cake mixture in it. Cover with 1/3 of the cheesecake mixture, place dollops of it instead of mixing it in or spreading it out. Cover with the rest of the carrot cake mixture and in the end place the rest of the cheesecake on top. Bake in 350 F for 60 minutes. Rest until it cools down and place in the refrigerator. Best to be eaten cold, after it sits in the fridge for about two-three hours.


ENJOY!


Comments

Popular Posts