Barley Salad with Hazelnuts and Spinach


I have been quite addicted to Food Network recently and definitely getting some inspiration for the foods we have been eating. One of the recipes I was inspired by was Rachel Ray's Farro Salad with Kale and Asparagus. However I did not have all the ingredients and did not feel like going to the store so I decided to make something similar with the ingredients I had and the result was satisfying and delicious. You can easily pack it up for lunch or have it as a meal on its own for dinner or a summer picnic. Barely is healthy and filling and you will not be looking for snacks right after eating this salad.


I definitely made up with this recipe for my recent cravings and addictions- crackers with the new Kraft Peanut Butter and Chocolate blend as well as Hagen Dazs's Straciatella Gelato which tastes the best around 11 pm of course. At least I need all the extra calories with my new daughter so I have an excuse to indulge...it will never happen again so I might as well take advantage of it.

You can play around with the ingredients as much as you want here as long as you have the combination of a leafy green with a grain, few textures and a crunch and something sweet.



Salad


1 1/4 cup barley, cooked

1.5 cups mushrooms, sauteed
a handful of roasted hazelnuts
3 cups spinach
1 eggplant, chopped and roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper
1/4 cup red onion, chopped (optional)
1 mango, peeled and chopped
lemon juice
olive oil
handful of cranberries or dried cherries or
pomegranate seeds would work nicely here instead for sweetness and punch.




Miso Dressing


3 tbsp oil

2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp white miso
2 tbsp water
2 teaspoons tahini
1/4 tbsp sugar

For the dressing mix all the ingredients together in a jar and shake until creamy.


Simply mix the cooked barley with the mushrooms, hazelnuts, spinach, eggplant, mango and cranberries. Mix in the miso dressing, add a splash of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add more olive oil if you wish.

Serve and enjoy!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts