Seasonal Breakfast Cake

MY MOM'S




This recipe has been in my family for a while. I always found it very challenging because I never work with fresh yeast and when I try to use the dry one something always goes wrong. This time I watched my mother carefully as she was preparing this delicious cake that really goes down well at any time in the day. Breakfast, lunch or with your afternoon coffee.
Today is the test, the cake is in the oven and I am curious how it will turn out. The cake rose nicely, so hopefully it will do the same in the oven. Can't wait to have it with my morning coffee (second morning coffee, I am drinking one right now)
Funny enough, I was woken up by my daughter at 4 am, she has a little cough and not sleeping too well. An hour later she goes back to sleep and I am wide awake, well, it is too early for a nap, so I decided to make this cake. Turns out I am out of butter and I do not feel like walking to the store at 6 am on a Saturday morning. But I decided to take this opportunity of spending some alone time and my local loblaws is open 24 hours, so with an ipod in my ears I go for a stroll. How quiet everything is at this time. The sun is lurking over the horizon, ready to rise, but lazily. Few people walk, mostly dragged out of their beds at this ungodly hour to walk their dogs, some workers and few of those who partied way too long last night. I decide to pick up some ice cream as well and whipped cream along with my butter. On my way back home I stop at Starbucks for my morning latte. I am back home and they are still sleeping! How I cherish these moments to myself now, even though they are way too early on a Saturday morning.
Here is the recipe for the cake:
DOUGH
1. Mix 3 glasses of white flour with a pinch of salt.
2. Separate bowl: mix 100g fresh yeast, half a glass of lukewarm milk (it is very IMPORTANT not to use hot milk, as it will simply stop your yeast from activating), 2 tablespoons of sugar, 2 handfuls of flour. Mix and set aside. The yeast will activate and it will expand, so make sure to use a larger bowl.
3. Another bowl: Beat 3 eggs with 1 glass of sugar.
4. In a small pan melt 250 g of butter with half a glass of milk.
Pour butter with milk into the bowl with flour and mix (I suggest using two glasses of flour first and the adding the rest, to make sure the consistency of the dough is not too dry or too goey. It should be springy and shiny) Add the yeast mixture along with the eggs and the sugar. Mix everything, dust with a little bit of flour, cover and set aside in a warm place. It will rise again.

In the meantime prepare your toppings. You can use any fruit of your liking. Today I used 2 apples, 1 pear and 1 peach. Cut it into small chunks.
Prepare the Crumble Topping by mixing together: 50g flour, 50g cold diced butter (unsalted), 25g ground almonds, 25g flaked almonds, half a teaspoon of cinnamon and 4 tablespoons of sugar.
ASSEMBLE:
Dust a cookie sheet with some flour, and make sure to use a deeper one as the dough will rise while baking. Spread the dough evenly and sprinkle with the crumble and the fruit.
Bake in 350F (170C) for 1 hour.
Slice and ENJOY!!!!!!


Turned out so good!

MINE

Comments

Popular Posts